Suspect in March hotel robbery extradited back to Aiken following arrest in Ohio

December 7, 2018

An Aiken County man wanted on charges connected to the assault and robbery of a 70-year-old man at a Whiskey Road hotel in March was extradited back to Aiken on Tuesday after being arrested in Ohio last month.

Willie Troy Morris, 37, is charged with first-degree burglary, first-degree assault and battery, kidnapping and strong-armed robbery, according to jail records.

He is also on a hold for the Spartanburg County Sheriff’s Office, records show.

On Nov. 21, Morris was arrested by the Mahoning County Sheriff’s Office in Ohio for active arrest warrants issued by Aiken Public Safety, according to Mahoning County jail records.

Morris’ charges stem from an incident on March 4, when Aiken Public Safety officers responded to the Howard Johnson hotel on Whiskey Road at 10:25 p.m. in reference to an assault, according to the report.

Upon arrival, officers found the 70-year-old victim inside his hotel room suffering from “severe physical injuries” related to the assault, the report states.

A hotel employee told investigators a member of the housekeeping staff went inside the victim’s room to clean and discovered the victim lying on the ground, police reported.

Officers reported the victim had two black eyes and what appeared to be a broken jaw when they arrived on the scene.

The victim told investigators he had been at the Cork N’ Bull bar on Whiskey Road on March 3 to watch his son perform, according to the report.

In the early morning hours of March 4, the victim claimed he walked back to the Howard Johnson where he was confronted by an unknown man, the report states.

The suspect forced his way into the victim’s room and asked why he was “trying to talk to a black female,” the report states.

The victim denied trying to talk to anyone, but the suspect started attacking him, according to the report.

Following the attack, the victim’s cellphone, car keys, Rolex watch and wallet were stolen, police reported.

EMS was called to the scene and the victim was taken to a local hospital to receive treatment for several “facial fractures” and a “fractured back” he sustained in the assault, according to the report.

Investigators spoke with several witnesses at the scene, reviewed surveillance footage of the incident and were able to identify Morris as the suspect.

Police also claimed there was a second male suspect who accompanied Morris at the hotel during the incident, but the second suspect, who is described as a heavy-set black male with no hair, is still unknown.

Update hourly