Related topics

Missouri 82, Baylor 66

January 15, 1997

COLUMBIA, Mo. (AP) _ Jason Sutherland had 19 points and Kelly Thames led an early-second half run that put the game away as Missouri ended a school-record four-game home conference losing streak with an 82-66 victory over Baylor on Tuesday night.

Tyron Lee added 18 points for Missouri (9-7, 1-3 Big 12), which also had begun the conference schedule with three losses overall for the first time since 1985.

Sutherland had four 3-pointers and made 5 of 6 free throws when he was fouled behind the 3-point line, then added a layup late in the game. Missouri was a season-high 11-for-21 from 3-point range, with Tyron Lee also hitting four and scoring 16 points, and Baylor made eight 3-pointers.

Thames, who was scoreless in the first half, had nine points in the first 5:10 of the second half. Missouri broke open a close game with a 17-4 run that actually began late in the first half, making it 49-35.

The numbers in the run were similar to what happened to Baylor against Kansas in an 87-68 loss on Saturday. Kansas put that game away with a 16-0 run at the start of the second half.

Thames added 12 points and eight rebounds for Missouri, topping 1,000 career points in the process. Jeff Hafer had 10 points, including three dunks.

Brian Skinner had 13 points and eight rebounds for Baylor (12-4, 1-3), which has lost three of its last four. He was shut out on the boards in the second half.

Roddrick Miller added 12 and Damond Mannon and Patrick Hunter had 11 apiece for the losers. This was the Bears’ first loss to a non-ranked team since a season-opening setback to Southern Illinois, however.

Cold shooting hurt Baylor, which hit 39.1 percent overall and was 8-for-17 from the free-throw line. Baylor entered the game shooting only 56.1 percent from the line.

Missouri shot 37.5 percent in the first half but led 34-31 because it was 5-for-9 from 3-point range and 11-for-14 at the free-throw line.

Baylor reserve Rahsaan Jones aggravated a knee injury at 13:47 of the first half. He was down under the basket for several minutes before being helped to the locker room, then was on crutches as the second half began.

Update hourly