Local college football player roundup: Smith, McCloud lead Pikeville to victory
Former South Aiken quarterback Bowen Smith and former North Augusta running back Willie McCloud had big games Saturday in a University of Pikeville blowout victory over St. Andrews.
Smith completed 16 of 20 passes for 266 yards and five touchdowns. McCloud averaged 12 yards per carry in the game, rushing for 109 yards and a touchdown on nine carries. McCloud also caught a pass for 12 yards. Fellow North Augusta product Derius Gibson carried the ball four times for 49 yards.
• Colby Campbell — Campbell, a South Aiken grad, made nine tackles in Presbyterian’s loss to Kennesaw State.
• Devontae Davis — The Silver Bluff grad and South Carolina commit made two sacks and forced a fumble in Georgia Military’s victory over Hocking College.
• Chad Gilchrist — The Johnston native made six tackles and a tackle for loss in S.C. State’s win against Morgan State.
• Deshun Kitchings — Kitchings, a former South Aiken receiver, had one rushing attempt for 20 yards and returned two kickoffs for 45 yards in Newberry’s loss.
• Brandon Maddox — The former North Augusta player made nine tackles, two tackles for loss and a sack in Pima Community College’s victory over Glendale Community College.
• Christian Maddox — The former Yellow Jacket finished Pima Community College’s win with three tackles and two pass breakups.
• Tyrece Nick — Nick, a former Strom Thurmond Rebel, went 11-for-21 passing for 139 yards and the game-winning touchdown with 1:10 left to play against Morgan State. He also ran for 45 yards and a touchdown in S.C. State’s win.
• Chris Roberts — The former South Aiken running back ran the ball 11 times for 43 yards and a touchdown in Mars Hill’s loss to Tusculum.
• Cederick Trottie — Trottie, a Silver Bluff product, punted six times with an average of 38.3 yards per punt in the Benedict victory.
• Tyrek Williams — Former Strom Thurmond Rebel made two tackles and a tackle for loss in Georgia Military’s victory.
• Gyasi Yeldell — The Silver Bluff product made six tackles for Presbyterian.
• D.J. Young — The Former Yellow Jacket had an interception in the Virginia University of Lynchburg loss to Benedict.