TROY, Mich. (AP) _ Three officials of an Ohio-based cable television contracting company have been charged with involuntary manslaughter in the death of an employee who died of carbon monoxide poisoning.

William Hatherill, 23, was found dead Jan. 16 in the back of a company van, said Richard Thompson, assistant Oakland County prosecutor. The van was so defective that it was a ''gas chamber,'' Thompson said.

Richard Jackson, owner of Jackson Enterprises of Clayton, Ohio, was charged with involuntary manslaughter, conspiracy to violate Michigan's Occupational Health and Safety Act, and violation of the act, under a warrant issued Monday.

Also charged with involuntary manslaughter and conspiracy were Jackson's son, John, general manager of Jackson Enterprises, and Patrick Hegedus, the company's Michigan foreman.

A conviction for involuntary manslaughter carries a maximum penalty of 15 years in prison.