Shooter sent to youth facility after guilty plea

November 19, 2018

HUNTINGTON — A Salt Rock teenager will be headed to a prison facility meant to rehabilitate youthful offenders after he pleaded guilty in Cabell Circuit Court to shooting into a Highlawn neighborhood home full of people over the summer.

Thurman Dewayne Hinkle, 18, pleaded guilty in October to one count of wanton endangerment and was sentenced to serve a sentence at the Anthony Center.

The Anthony Center gives youthful offenders a second chance by replacing prison sentences with intensive programs lasting anywhere from six months to two years.

At a sentencing reconsideration hearing Thursday, Cabell Circuit Judge Paul T. Farrell declined to change the sentence handed down by Senior Status Judge Dan O’Hanlon while Farrell served a temporary assignment for the West Virginia Supreme Court of Appeals.

A one-to five-year prison sentence was suspended but could be reinstated if Hinkle fails the program.

Hinkle had originally faced nine counts of the same charge, but the remaining counts were dismissed as part of a deal with Cabell County prosecutors.

Hinkle was charged Aug. 8 after he was accused of shooting three shots into a home in the 2800 block of 3rd Avenue in Huntington at about 12:45 a.m. that day.

There were nine people inside the home at the time.

Madison Paige Kimball, 18, and an unnamed juvenile were charged with being accessories in the case. The Herald-Dispatch does not typically name juvenile offenders.

When officers arrived at the scene, a resident inside the home said he had been receiving threats from the juvenile.

While officers were interviewing the victims, a vehicle was stopped nearby after traveling the wrong way down the road in the 2800 block of 3rd Avenue.

Kimball was driving the vehicle, the juvenile was the front passenger and Hinkle was sitting in the back with a semi-automatic rifle between his right leg and the door.

A live round was found in the floorboard and in the rifle, and the shells matched spent shell casings that had been fired at the house, according to Huntington Police Chief Hank Dial.

Follow reporter Courtney Hessler at Facebook.com/CHesslerHD and via Twitter @HesslerHD.

Update hourly