Wolves win Wayne Co. tussle 49-8

August 25, 2018

Spring Valley quarterback Nate Ellis (3) fights for extra yards on a carry as Wayne's Devon Matzdorff (12) and Colt Adams (8) attempt to bring him down during a high school football game Friday at Spring Valley High School.

SPRING VALLEY — Taking away Wayne’s running game or passing attack was a secondary goal for Spring Valley on Friday night. The Timberwolves’ primary purpose was to dash the Pioneers’ confidence.

The Class AAA Timberwolves (1-0) did that and dominated, jumping to a 49-0 halftime lead over the Class AA Pioneers on their way to a 49-8 triumph in high school football at the Wolves Den.

By half time, Spring Valley had 386 yards and 13 first downs on 34 plays. The Timberwolves scored on every possession. Wayne in the first two quarters ran 18 plays for 10 yards and no first downs.

“We jumped on them quickly,” Spring Valley coach Brad Dingess said. “We did that and then it kind of snowballed. We recovered a sky kick, had a scoop and score and it just started going.”

Spring Valley took the lead on its second play as senior halfback Owen Chafin raced through a gaping hole and went 63 yards for a touchdown. Zane Porter kicked the first of seven first-half extra points to make it 7-0.

Just 1:45 later, fullback Isaac Howard scored from the 3. Howard also scored from the 1 with 37 seconds remaining until halftime

to set the Wolves’ score at intermission.

Nate Ellis threw an 87-yard touchdown pass to Billy Malashevich, who caught the ball at midfield and eluded two defenders before reaching the end zone, making it 21-0. Ellis followed with an 11-yard scoring strike to David Livingston for a 28-0 lead after one quarter.

Malashevich, a half back/receiver/wingback, lined up at quarterback for the Timberwolves’ next score, a 12-yard run up the middle that boosted the lead to 35-0 with 9:51 left in the second period.

“He has some moves,” Dingess said of Malashevich.

Spring Valley’s defense accounted for the next score as linebacker Hunter Bellomy scooped up a fumble and returned it 22 yards for a touchdown to make it 42-0 with 8:20 left until halftime.

Bellomy said he found a prime opportunity and took advantage of it when a teammate fell on the ball but didn’t hang on to it.

“It kind of looked like he gave birth to it,” Bellomy said, with a laugh. “I just picked it up and ran with it.”

The lone troublesome area for the Timberwolves was penalties. They committed 10 for 130 yards in the first half and 13 for 146 overall.

“They were aggressive penalties, in a lot of cases,” Dingess said. “We have to get that fixed. In a close game, penalties will get you beat.”

Wayne avoided the shutout when Gunner Harmon scored on a 6-yard run and Michael Bartram ran for the 2-Point conversion with 1:09 left in the game.

Chafin finished with 112 yards on eight carries. Ellis completed 4 of 6 passes for 140 yards and two touchdowns. Malashevich caught three balls for 130 yards and intercepted a pass.

Update hourly