People in the News
People in the News
May. 11, 1985
OMAHA, Neb. (AP) _ A Roman Catholic priest says the parents of 25-year-old model Julianne Phillips have asked him to marry their daughter this week to ''The Boss'' - rock star Bruce Springsteen, 35.
The Rev. Richard Parr said he believes the wedding in Lake Oswego, Ore., is set for Wednesday. However, the 72-year-old priest said he might not be able to go to Oregon because he's been suffering from the flu.
The bride's parents, former Nebraskans Bill and Ann Phillips, are old friends of Parr.
The priest said Ms. Phillips' parents are excited about having Springsteen join their family.
''They're very impressed with the man,'' he said. ''They're impressed with him being a very humble type of person and very generous.''
MINEOLA, N.Y. (AP) - Eddie Murphy has challenged a lawsuit by a former agent who claims the superstar comedian violated a contract that Murphy signed when he was an unknown teen-ager five years ago.
Agent King Broder, who owns and operates Entertainment Unlimited of Levittown, has charged that Murphy, 24, signed an ''indefinite contract'' with Grandson Productions on April 8, 1980.
But in papers filed Friday in state Supreme Court in this Long Island city, Murphy said he and Broder verbally agreed to dissolve their relationship before the end of 1980.
The former ''Saturday Night Live'' star said he was working as a shoe salesman, had very limited professional experience and no reputation or following when he signed the agreement. He also charged that Broder misrepresented himself as the agent for singer Tina Turner, comic Andy Kaufman and singer Neil Sedaka.
Herbert Sachs, an attorney for Broder, called Murphy's statements ''untrue,'' and said the two men had a ''working relationship'' two years before the contract was signed.
''I did for him what I could and I really can't say any more,'' Broder, who filed his suit in 1983, said Friday.
DETROIT (AP) - A federal judge ordered former auto executive John Z. De Lorean to testify in the bankruptcy proceedings for his failed car company after a hearing from which the public and reporters were barred.
Bankruptcy Judge Ray Reynolds Graves on Friday rejected De Lorean's claim that, by testifying, he would violate his constitutional guarantee against self-incrimination.
Graves did not explain his ruling, which came in open court following the closed-door hearing.
Howard Weitzman, De Lorean's attorney, and Robert Weiss, representing creditors of De Lorean Motor Co., would not comment on the decision.
De Lorean's company filed for protection under federal bankruptcy laws in October 1982. He was acquitted of federal cocaine trafficking charges in August 1984.
ATLANTA (AP) - Singer Anita Bryant, whose opposition to a Miami gay rights ordinance sparked controversy in the 1970s, says it was ''no fun'' losing her job on a local television show last week after just one appearance.
However, she says she was grateful for the opportunity.
Miss Bryant, 45, had been scheduled to host a weekly segment on local talent on WAGA-TV's nightly ''PM Atlanta'' show. But her debut Tuesday prompted a ''groundswell'' of negative phone calls, said station General Manager Paul Raymon. A second segment that she taped for the show will not be shown, he said.
Miss Bryant's successful campaign for the repeal of the Miami gay rights ordinance in the 1970s cost her the job of spokeswoman for Florida orange juice.
PASADENA, Calif. (AP) - Scientist Taylor G. Wang says the toilet on the space shuttle Challenger was ''borderline uncivilized'' and the food was ''edible but not that great.''
So, he skipped some meals to reduce his need to use the erratic toilet.
Wang, the first astronaut from Jet Propulsion Laboratory here, recounted the 17th space shuttle's mission's highs and lows at a welcome-back reception Friday.
Challenger landed at Edwards Air Force Base on Tuesday. Its mission was deemed successful despite a series of problems that threatened five of 15 experiments for two days, including Wang's experiment with the behavior of fluids.
''I started having fun when things started to work,'' Wang said. ''When it wasn't working, a lot of things came to my mind and fun was not one of them.''
NEW ORLEANS (AP) - Philippe Entremont, the renowned French pianist who has conducted the New Orleans Philharmonic Symphony since 1980, says he will leave at the end of the current season to conduct the Denver Symphony.
Entremont will have a two-year contract, the Denver Symphony Orchestra Association said in announcing his appointment Friday. He will replace Gaetano Delogu, conductor and music director since 1979.
Delogu said last summer he would give up the Denver baton after the 1985-86 season. He has said he was weary of the trans-Atlantic commute from his home in Italy.