Related topics

Shooting Suspects Took $2,200, Police Say

June 7, 1986

NORTHAMPTON, Pa. (AP) _ Two men accused of storming a bank branch and killing three employees made off with about $2,200 before they were caught two miles from the shooting scene, police said Saturday.

The bank manager and a customer remained hospitalized, one in critical condition, with gunshot wounds from the attack Friday at the East Allen Township branch of First National Bank of Bath, 10 miles north of Allentown, officials said.

Stanley Joseph Hertzog, 29, of Allentown and Martin Daniel Appel, 28, of Northampton were charged with murder, attempted murder, aggravated assault, bank robbery and conspiracy. District Justice Charles Kutzler ordered them held without bail at Northampton County Prison pending a June 16 hearing.

An angry mob of more than 200 chanted ″Kill ‘em 3/8 Kill ’em 3/8″ while police led away the suspects Friday.

About three hours after the midday shootings, the men were stopped in a car fitting descriptions given by witnesses, police said.

Trooper Charles H. Marshall, who arrested the two, said Saturday that the bank indicated that $2,222 was taken but said the bank was waiting for auditors’ reports.

Police would not comment on whether the money was recovered. Police said Friday that a gun used in the shootings had been found. Marshall said the two men offered no resistance during the arrest.

Tellers Janice Confer, 48, of Northampton and Hazel Evans, 55, of Coplay were found dead on the floor at their work stations, police said.

Jane Hartman, 34, a bank secretary from Catasauqua, was shot to death at her desk.

Customer Thomas Marchetto, 37, of Bath, who was at Ms. Hartman’s desk, was in stable condition Saturday at a Bethlehem hospital, according to a nursing supervisor.

Branch manager Marcia Jean Hauser, 31, of Nazareth, who was shot in her office, was in critical condition Saturday at an Allentown hospital.

Another teller and an assistant manager were in a back room when they heard the shooting and ran out a back door, authorities said. They provided a description of the gunmen and the getaway car.

The Allentown Morning Call newspaper reported Saturday that Appel was a former Lehigh County Prison guard convicted in 1984 of impersonating a police officer.

Police said the bank was broken into early May 29, and that equipment inside was smashed, including surveillance cameras. Police said at the time that the break-in could have been a preparation for a later robbery, but cameras were working during Friday’s attack, police said.

The attack was the deadliest in a bank robbery since Dec. 14, 1984, when four people were killed and three were wounded during a holdup at the First Bank of Chattanooga in Geronimo, Okla., FBI spokesman Ernie Porter said. Two people were sentenced to death in that robbery, he said.

Update hourly