New Review Fails to Overturn Charge
NORFOLK, Va. (AP) _ A Navy lieutenant who set up a leg-shaving booth at the 1991 Tailhook convention was told a second time Thursday that he will have to face trial on a charge of conduct unbecoming an officer.
A new review of the case against Lt. Rolando A. Diaz failed to overturn the charge. Diaz, 35, must face court-martial Oct. 18 at the Norfolk Naval Base.
Diaz had won another review of his case earlier this week because of concern about bias by a legal adviser to Vice Adm. J. Paul Reason, the senior officer deciding who gets prosecuted. But a second adviser appointed by Reason recommended that the court-martial go forward.
Diaz is accused of shaving a woman’s pubic hair during the Las Vegas convention. He contends the woman, a stripper, asked for a ″bikini cut″ and collected money from others in the room to watch the activity.
He and three other Navy officers are facing trials stemming from the 1991 Tailhook Association convention in Las Vegas, where dozens of women have said they were fondled, stripped or otherwise assaulted by aviators.