Huntington firefighters battle tire storage fire
HUNTINGTON — Huntington firefighters battled a tire storage fire at Po-Boys in the 900 block of Hal Greer Boulevard on Thursday morning.
“We received the call around 7:38 a.m. regarding (a fire) at Po-Boys that included two trailers and a storage facility,” said Huntington Fire Chief Jan Rader.
Rader said the two trailers and storage facility were full of tires, making the fire more difficult to extinguish.
“Tires are hydrocarbon, so it causes a lot of extra problems,” Rader said. “It’s difficult to fight with just water.”
Rader said there was a tower truck in the air fighting the blaze from above, while several other firefighters attacked it on the ground.
“We have foam on scene,” the chief said. “We had some foam that we don’t throw very often, so we called on our neighbors in Barboursville, and they brought us a truck full of foam as well.”
She said firefighters would use the foam to try to smother the fire.
Rader said tire fires are typically very hot, and the air coming from it is toxic to breathe.
“We also have the water quality board on scene checking the runoff from this fire because we are dealing with hydrocarbons,” Rader said. “So far, they said that everything is going to be safe for the city water-wise.”
Electricity workers were also on the scene disconnecting lines that were exposed to the blaze.
“We had some electric lines compromised as well,” she added.
Rader said the Huntington Fire Department was also on the scene of a kitchen fire in the 1300 block of Hall Avenue.
“So had two fires going on simultaneously,” she said. “Firefighters got an excellent knock down on the kitchen fire and were quickly able to respond over here.”
Rader said she didn’t not know the cause of the fire at Po-Boys, and state Fire Marshal officials were on scene to conduct an investigation.
No injuries were reported at either fire, according to Rader.
Follow reporter Fred Pace at Facebook.com/FredPaceHD and via Twitter at @FredPaceHD.