AP NEWS
Click to copy
Click to copy

Arts fest returns after shooting, but won’t go all night

June 12, 2019

TRENTON, N.J. (AP) — An all-night arts festival interrupted by gunfire last year is returning Saturday to New Jersey’s capital, but with a key change: it won’t be all night.

Trenton’s Art All Night is shutting down from 1 a.m. to 7 a.m. Organizers said this week the change was made to make festivalgoers feel more comfortable. It also reflects increased security measures.

For the first time in its 13-year history, the event will be fenced off, and attendees will go through security before entering.

“Attending Art All Night will now be much like attending any live sports or music event, when it comes to entrance security,” event director Joseph Kuzemka said in a statement.

The festival starts 3 p.m. Saturday, will break overnight, and continue Sunday until 3 p.m.

Event organizers said police will close streets around the event, and there will be “a large police and private security presence” inside and outside the event.

The June 17 shooting left a suspect dead and 22 people injured last year. Authorities said it looked like neighborhood gang dispute.

An estimated 1,000 or more people were attending the Art All Night Trenton festival that showcases local art, music, food and films last year when shots rang out about 2:45 a.m.

The event is held at the historic Roebling Wire Works Building, a former factory that once supplied cables for bridges, including the Golden Gate.

All contents © copyright 2019 The Associated Press. All rights reserved.