UNICEF Deplores Slaying of Six, IOM Readies Hospital Transfer in Italy
GENEVA (AP) _ A U.N. agency today denounced the mortar attack that killed six children frolicking in the snow in the besieged Bosnian city of Sarajevo as a ″monstrous butchery.″
The U.N. Children’s Fund appealed to the ethnic factions fighting in the former Yugoslav republic to ″stop the slaughter of children.″
″There is nothing to be gained militarily by the killing of babies,″ the agency’s executive director, James Grant, said in a statement.
The statement said that so far this year 12 children have been killed and 123 wounded in Sarajevo alone.
″How can any soldier, operating under any flag, fail to understand that the world will instantly condemn such monstrous butchery?″ the statement said.
U.N. officials aren’t sure who to blame. Serbs holding much of the territory around Sarajevo have denied firing the shells.
Meanwhile, two brothers badly wounded during the attack Saturday were to be flown to a hospital in Bologna today.
Admir Ahmethodzic, 11, and his 13-year-old brother, Elvir, were to be accompanied by their mother.