Two Shot Dead In Manila, Communists Raid Police Post
MANILA, Philippines (AP) _ Communist gunmen killed a soldier and a policeman in a suburb of the capital today in the second deadly attack by urban guerrillas in two days, police said.
Elsewhere, the military said about 200 communist New People’s Army rebels raided a northern mountain village, set fire to a police detachment and kidnapped a policeman.
President Corazon Aquino vowed today to crack down on crime and pursue an ″unrelenting campaign″ against communists.
She told a conference of 1,700 newly elected mayors and governors that their main task will be to restore order.
″The first and most important is law and order throughout the land,″ the president said. ″This calls for curbing criminality and the destruction of rightist and leftist elements in our society that are bent on the overthrow of our government and our democracy.″
She also called for breaking up illegal gambling syndicates and ″flushing out and shutting down the vice dens.″
In suburban Pasig today, four gunmen opened fire on Tech. Sgt. Norberto Fungo as he was walking near the public market, police said. As they were escaping, the rebels opened fire on Patrolman Severino Francisco as he tried to draw his pistol, police added.
The gunmen commandeered a passenger jeep and escaped.
The killings occurred one day after two men and two women gunned down Margarita Tenorio, 62, a ward leader and president of the anti-communist vigilante Crusaders for Peace and Democracy.
Police said the assailants scattered leaflets claiming responsibility in the name of the ″Jun Somono Squad″ of the Alex Boncayao Brigade, a rebel urban guerrilla group that killed scores of police and soldiers in the capital last year.
Somono, an urban guerrilla, was slain last year by police.
The attack on the police detachment occurred Thursday in Sadanga, about 180 miles north of Manila.
A constabulary report said police manning the outpost put up a brief fight but surrendered after two defenders were wounded. The report said the rebels confiscated police firearms, burned down the outpost and took a patrolman hostage before fleeing to the forest.
Mrs. Aquino was swept to power in a February 1986 military-civilian revolt that ousted President Ferdinand Marcos after 20 years in power.
The military chief of staff said today he did not believe the time was right to allow Marcos to return from exile in Hawaii.
″If you would ask me personally, it is not advisable for him to be back at this time,″ Gen. Renato de Villa told reporters.
The general’s remarks follow reports that two of Mrs. Aquino’s relatives met with Marcos in Hawaii to discuss terms for his possible return.
De Villa said former military officers implicated in coup attempts remain at large in the country and Marcos’ return might jeopardize security. But he expressed doubts that the Marcos groups could muster enough support to topple the government.