Yucca man sentenced to 32 years in prison for 2015 murder

February 13, 2019

KINGMAN — A Yucca man was sentenced Tuesday to more than three decades in prison for the October 2015 murder of an elderly man.

Buddy O’Brian Wallace, 28, was convicted in December of two counts of second-degree murder, first-degree burglary and vehicle theft for the death of 70-year-old Charles John McCarty. The two counts of murder involved one victim but two separate theories to his murder.

Wallace’s attorney, Brad Rideout, asked for a mitigated sentence, citing that Wallace witnessed the murder of his mother when he was 4 years old, his traumatic childhood and the death of his child.

Rideout also called a former teacher to the stand to testify of Wallace’s learning disabilities in the fourth grade, which caused him to be placed in a special education class. The defense attorney also spoke of his client’s mental health issues and his drug use.

McCarty’s son, brother, nephew and granddaughter spoke of the emotion harm to their family. McCarty’s son said Wallace’s murder case should have been a death penalty case and cited Wallace’s criminal history in North Dakota.

“I believe he will kill again,” the son said.

Deputy Mohave County Rod Albright argued aggravating factors including the age of the victim, that McCarty was disabled and on oxygen, and that he was in his own home, as well as the emotional harm to the family.

Superior Court Judge Rick Lambert found as aggravating factors that there were 21 stab wounds on the victim, of which seven were considered to be fatal, the emotional harm to the family, the victim’s age, his medical condition and that he was a Vietnam War veteran.

Lambert sentenced Wallace to 25 years in prison for the murder charges and the burglary charge, to run concurrently, and seven years in prison for the vehicle theft to be served consecutively to the other charges.

Wallace entered McCarty’s trailer in Yucca on Oct. 11, 2015, and stabbed him in the face, shoulder and chest. McCarty’s body was found the next day covered in blood and slumped over his kitchen table.

McCarty’s 1997 pickup truck also was missing. A man on a train spotted McCarty’s truck the day after the murder, several miles from the crime scene, near the railroad tracks in Yucca. Sheriff’s detectives arrested Wallace at the Lake Havasu City business where he worked.

Update hourly