Fiancée of OD victim testifies about heroin purchase

October 3, 2018

KANKAKEE — Kaitlyn Berry, the fiancée of Jeremy Lahay, testified Tuesday about the heroin they purchased on the day he died in November 2016.

Javonta L. Davis, of Pembroke Township, is on trial accused of selling the couple heroin laced with fentanyl that led to the 26-year-old Lahay’s overdose death.

According to online court records, Lahay’s cause of death was determined to be an overdose of heroin, fentanyl, aecetyl fentanyl and cocaine.

Berry was back on the stand today after testifying for 90 minutes on Monday. Davis’ attorney, Bart Beals, of Chicago, was set to cross examine her.

The trial is expected to run through Friday.

Berry testified she made a call to purchase heroin the morning of Nov. 18, 2016.

After stopping at an ATM for money to purchase one gram of heroin, Berry said she and Lahay drove to Hopkins Park. They went to a trailer where Davis was packaging the heroin that they paid him $150 to obtain it.

“I was shocked. It never cost that much, ever,” Berry said. The most they had paid for a gram was $100.

While Davis was bagging the heroin, they asked if this was the same stuff (they had used before).

Davis said, “No. This stuff is better s—t,” Berry said.

The couple left but pulled off the road and each snorted a line of heroin, Berry testified.

Kankakee County State’s Attorney Jim Rowe asked Berry how it felt.

“I never felt like this before. Never that high. It was a body high. Not a mind high,” Berry said.

She testified Jeremy looked like he was on an intense high.

The couple each did two more lines between 8 a.m. and 2 p.m.

Berry said she felt ill after doing the third line

When she went in the bedroom after getting home, she found Lahay partially laying on the bed.

Berry testified she pulled Lahay to the floor and put him on his back. He was not breathing and she started to perform CPR. She also screamed for her parents to call 911.

“He started gurgling. I put him on his side and he puked. He was not breathing. He was purple and just gurgling,” Berry said.

A Bradley police officer arrived and used a portable defibrillator on Lahay. Berry was asked about drugs, and she told him that Lahay had a previous heroin history but did not say if he had been currently using the drug.

She knew she was lying. Two more times when asked by investigators, Berry said she lied.

Berry said she “spilled it out Jeremy and I were on heroin” to her parents, brother and sister-in-law the night Lahay died.

That was the last day she used heroin, she testified.

Prior to Berry testifying, Lahay’s mother, Lisa Mynet, described how her son became addicted to opioids.

He injured his back working at a Lafayette, Ind., factory. The treatment included injections, methadone and hydrocodone.

Mynet said he got hooked on the hydrocodone.

The family lived in Bradley until Lahay’s freshman year in high school when they moved to Lafayette. He was clean from drugs when he moved back to Bradley and lived with his best friend, Caleb Berry, Kaitlyn’s older brother.

Kaitlyn Berry said Lahay started using heroin again in December 2014 after he moved into her parents’ home. She began using in January 2015.

It became almost daily habit to use heroin, she said. At first it started with $20 purchases that increased up to $40.

When they both got new jobs that paid more, they started buying a gram of heroin on Fridays, the day they got paid.

Update hourly