City man, 70, wanted on molesting charges

August 10, 2018

A Fort Wayne man was charged Wednesday with two counts of child molesting and two counts of sexual misconduct. A 14-year-old girl reported the molestation to staff at Lakeside Middle School in December 2015 after the girl’s grandmother called to report an assault, court documents said.

There is a warrant for the arrest of Vaughn O. Hughes, 70, of the 2700 block of Hazelwood Avenue.

The girl told police the sex acts began when she was 13 when she was living with Hughes and his wife.

The victim said Hughes was nice to her at first, buying her a bed and other things, but became mean and angry and had shown her pornography, documents said.

Area man accused of molestation

Lukus “Luke” Kats, 25, of Huntertown was charged Monday with four counts of child molesting and one count of dissemination of matter harmful to minors.

His 14-year-old accuser said the molestation and sex acts started when she was 12 years old and ended early this year. The molestation took place at her sister’s home, according to court documents.

The molestation was discovered when the girl’s stepmother asked her if she was a virgin and she told her the story. Kats also showed her pornography videos on his phone, court documents said.

Kats turned himself in Wednesday. He was being held at the Allen County Jail in lieu of $87,500 bail.

Man charged after teen gives birth

A 22-year-old man living in Yukon, Oklahoma, was charged this week with three counts of sexual misconduct with a minor after a 15-year-old girl gave birth to his child at her Fort Wayne home in May.

Kaiden J. Scott admitted to sexual relations with the girl when she was 14 and 15. The misconduct occurred between August 2017 and January, court documents said.

Scott said he was aware that she was 14 and 15 and had discussed with her the need to keep the relationship a secret. There is a warrant for his arrest.

Nobody injured in Leith Street blaze

Four people safely escaped a fire that badly damaged a home at 221 W. Leith St. on Tuesday night.

Firefighters were called at 7:52 p.m. and arrived two minutes later : after the occupants were able to get out : to find heavy smoke and flames coming from a second-floor window, the fire department said.

The blaze was brought under control in 14 minutes, with heavy damage on the second floor and moderate damage on the first floor. There was also heavy water damage. The cause is under investigation. 


Update hourly