Kosovo Serb Charged With Murder
BELGRADE, Yugoslavia (AP) _ A Serbian prosecutor has charged a Kosovo Serb with killing three ethnic Albanians during the NATO airstrikes, a newspaper reported Tuesday.
An estimated 10,000 Kosovar Albanians were killed by Serb paramilitary troops during President Slobodan Milosevic’s security sweep, but Boban Petkovic was the first Serb to be charged in any of the deaths.
Petkovic, 32, was charged with gunning down three ethnic Albanians near the central Kosovo town of Orahovac on May 9, the independent Blic daily reported.
It said Petkovic was angered by reports that a Serb soldier had been injured in clashes with ethnic Albanian rebels fighting for independence for Kosovo, a southern province within the Yugoslav republic of Serbia.
Blic said Petkovic allegedly picked up an ethnic Albanian civilian, wrestled him to the ground and fired a bullet into his head. Later, he allegedly killed two other ethnic Albanians walking on the street.
The prosecutor in the Serbian city of Pozarevac also charged a Serb policeman from Kosovo with giving Petkovic a weapon, the newspaper said.