Police: Bronx infant who died had ingested drugs
NEW YORK (AP) — Authorities say 1-year-old Bronx boy who died in December had ingested heroin and fentanyl.
Police say officers found Darwin Gonzalez-Santana was unconscious and unresponsive on Dec. 27. CPR was administered and the boy was rushed to a hospital where he was pronounced dead.
The boy had no obvious signs of trauma. On Wednesday, police deemed his death a homicide after the medical examiner found traces of the narcotics in the boy’s system.
Police say large quantities of heroin, cocaine and fentanyl were found in the child’s home.
Police told the New York Post that the boy’s mother is in custody on an unrelated drug offense.
Information from: New York Post, http://www.nypost.com