Iran Opposition Launches Mortars
TEHRAN, Iran (AP) _ Mortars fired by an Iraq-based Iranian opposition group exploded in northern Tehran, but caused no casualties, state-run Tehran radio reported Sunday.
The brief report official by the Islamic Republic News Agency did not say how many mortars were fired or where they landed in the Saturday night attack.
The Iraq-based Mujahedeen Khalq said in a statement received in Cairo, Egypt, that its agents in Iran had pounded two elite Revolutionary Guards bases in separate mortar attacks 30 minutes apart, and that ``a number of Revolutionary Guards were killed or wounded.″
That claim could not be independently confirmed.
Witnesses said seven or eight mortars fell in a part of northern Tehran that houses a military base and a public sports complex.
Over the past year the Mujahedeen have launched several similar mortar attacks in Tehran and other cities. Civilians have been killed or wounded in a number of those attacks.
The Iranian Intelligence Ministry said in a statement late Saturday that several Mujahedeen agents in Iran had been arrested with mortars and other equipment for terrorist attacks, the news agency reported.