Maldonado says he won’t drive in F1 this season
PARIS (AP) — Pastor Maldonado announced that he won’t be driving in the Formula One world championships this season.
The Venezuelan driver started his career in F1 five years ago with Williams, winning the Spanish Grand Prix in 2012. In 2014 he moved to Lotus, which was acquired by Renault last year.
Maldonado said in a statement: “Today, with the biggest humility, I inform you that I won’t be on the grid at the start of the 2016 season.”
Renault is expected to announce its lineup for the 2016 season at a press conference on Wednesday, with former McLaren racer Kevin Magnussen having reportedly sealed a deal to replace Maldonado and partner Jolyon Palmer.