MU Game Notes
• Redshirt freshman quarterback Isaiah Green made the first start of his career last week, completing 24 of 37 passes for 272 yards and two touchdowns in a 35- 28 win over Miami (Ohio).
• Captains for this week are offensive lineman Jordan Dowrey, safety Malik Gant, linebacker Chase Hancock and senior Tyre Brady.
• Dowrey leads the Herd in career starts. Saturday’s contest will mark his 38th career start in a Marshall uniform.
• Senior wide receiver Tyre Brady shined in last week’s win over the RedHawks, catching nine passes for 116 yards and two touchdowns.
• Running back Anthony Anderson only had three carries last week, but he made them count. Two went for touchdowns while the other picked up a first down in short yardage that led to his second score.
• Cornerback Steven Gilmore was the Herd’s lone true freshman to play in the season opener. Gilmore had a key block on Tyler King’s punt return to set up Marshall’s final touchdown of the day.
• Marshall leads the all-time series between the programs, 10-8-1.
Eastern Kentucky game notes
• EKU co-defensive coordinator and linebackers coach Shannon Morrison played for Marshall from 1991 to 1994.
• The Colonels rushed for 404 yards on 61 carries last week in a 49-23 win over Morehead State.
• Running back L.J. Scott does a bit of everything for Eastern Kentucky. The former Louisville player rushed for 86 yards and two scores last week and had kickoff returns of 35 and 31 yards against Morehead State.
• EKU has 13 Division I transfers on its roster with six starting for the team.
• The Colonels have played well against FBS teams in recent years. In 2014, EKU defeated Miami (Ohio), 17-10. In 2015, the Colonels lost to Kentucky, 34-27, in overtime. Last year, EKU lost 31-17 at Western Kentucky and 27-16 at Kentucky.
• Offensive lineman Ja’HShaun Seider is the brother of former Marshall assistant Ja’Juan Seider, who is now an assistant coach at Penn State.
• The last meeting between the schools came in 1992 during the I-AA (now FCS) playoffs. Marshall earned a 44-0 win in that first round matchup and went on to win the I-AA Championship that year. Morrison played for the Herd in that win.