Diocese adds 10 names to list of priests accused of abuse
BRIDGEPORT, Conn. (AP) — The Roman Catholic Diocese of Bridgeport in Connecticut has added 10 more names to its list of priests who have been credibly accused of sexual abuse.
Bishop Frank Caggiano says in a letter to parishioners released Friday that eight of the priests listed have died, one is on permanent administrative leave and one is a Venezuelan priest who was at the diocese in 1991.
The additions bring the total number of credibly accused priests from the Bridgeport Diocese to 38.
The diocese had agreed earlier in the week to pay $3.5 million to five men who said they were sexually abused as children by priests.
Caggiano said in an October report that the diocese has paid $52.5 million to settle 156 allegations of clergy sexual abuse.