Sauk City mall evacuated for reported gas leak; authorities find nothing unusual
SAUK CITY — Authorities evacuated several businesses in a strip mall Saturday morning for a suspected gas leak, but authorities were unable to find anything wrong.
Sauk City Fire Chief Doug Breunig said Pizza Hut employees in the Eagle Plaza shopping center on Philips Boulevard noticed an “odd” smell when they arrived for work and called the fire department to report a possible gas leak at 10:11 a.m. His department and Alliant Energy responded, but there was no smell when they got there, Breunig said.
He said an Alliant technician wasn’t sure about a reading at one spot, so the utility will continue to investigate.
The mall was evacuated for about an hour, with assistance from the Sauk Prairie Police Department and Sauk Prairie EMS on standby at the scene, Breunig said.
Representatives from the Sauk County Sheriff’s Office dispatch center and the Sauk City Police Department said they could not provide any information about the incident until Monday. A Pizza Hut manager said he couldn’t discuss the incident due to company policy.
It was not clear how many patrons and employees were in the numerous businesses inside the mall at the time of the incident.
In addition to Pizza Hut, the mall houses Heritage Credit Union, Weaver Auto Parts, Cleaner By Nature dry cleaning, Salons For You, Carr Valley Cheese, Liquor Baron, Edward Jones, Willow Creek Flooring and Genesis Chiropractic Center.