DILI, East Timor (AP) _ U.N. Secretary-General Kofi Annan left East Timor on Friday saying he was shocked by the devastation he witnessed and warned that an international tribunal could be set up if Indonesia fails to prosecute those responsible.

``The devastation I have been able to see so far is far worse than what I had imagined from the reports and what I saw on television,'' he told a crowd of about 5,000 in the capital, Dili.

The 24-hour stay was Annan's first visit to the half-island territory, which is now being administered by the world body.

Before leaving for neighboring Australia, he said Indonesia must live up to promises that it will punish those responsible for last year's murder, rape and destruction following an overwhelming independence vote in a U.N.-sponsored referendum.

``If the Indonesian authorities go ahead and pursue this effort and mount a credible trial, I do not believe that the (Security) Council would want to set up another international tribunal,'' Annan said.

``However, the council is going to monitor and follow the situation very closely. If the trial does not go forward as planned, they may revert to the international tribunal.''

Hundreds of thousands of people were forced to flee their homes after pro-Jakarta militias, backed by Indonesian soldiers, went on a rampage. The bodies of up to 300 people killed during the violence have been recovered so far.

Indonesian and U.N. Investigations into the atrocities in East Timor have implicated top Indonesian military and police figures.

Among them were now suspended security minister Gen. Wiranto, who was military commander at the time, but who has denied any wrongdoing.