Related topics

Search Continues For Missing Vessel

April 5, 2001

ANCHORAGE, Alaska (AP) _ The skipper of a sunken fishing vessel in the Bering Sea had planned to switch jobs after the voyage to spend more time with his family, his father said.

``This was going to be his last trip,″ David Rundall Sr. of Seattle told The Herald of Everett, Wash. ``It’s devastating.″

The body of his son, David M. Rundall, 34, of Hilo, Hawaii, the vessel’s skipper, was recovered by the Coast Guard on Monday after the 92-foot ship went down about 775 miles southwest of Anchorage with 15 crew members aboard.

The younger Rundall was married and had three sons, ages 4, 12 and 14. He had been a skipper for six years and had lined up work on a tanker, a job that would have allowed more time at home, his father said. The skipper’s grandfather died in 1962 after falling from an Alaska ferry.

Hope of finding other crew members faded as Coast Guard officials tried to determine why the Arctic Rose sank so fast the crew had no time to radio for help. It was one of the worst commercial fishing disasters in Alaska in 20 years.

Officials continued the search without success Wednesday. One other body was found Monday, but could not be retrieved because of harsh weather.

``We’ve been spotting debris the whole time, but nothing promising,″ said Coast Guard spokesman Petty Officer Jim Barker.

The first and only sign of trouble was a signal from the vessel’s automatic emergency locator beacon at 3:30 a.m. Monday.

The vessel was operated by Arctic Sole Seafoods Inc. of Lynnwood, Wash. One of the missing crew members was Mike Olney, the ship’s engineer and brother of company owner David Olney.

Nine of the crew members were from Washington, two were from Montana and four others were from Minnesota, Texas, Hawaii and California.

Among the missing crew:

_Olney, 46, loved taking his sons, ages 16 and 9, to swim or play basketball.

``Mike loved the kids first and last,″ his wife Adrianne Sue Olney said from their home in Kendall, Wash.

_The boat’s cook, Kenneth Kivlin, 55, had been a single father since his son was 2 years old, and earned a Purple Heart as a Navy corpsman in Vietnam when he was sprayed with shrapnel rescuing a wounded soldier. The Port Orchard, Wash., native once lost a job by arguing with a captain who wouldn’t buy enough food, his son said.

``He was very, very opinionated and immensely hardheaded,″ John Kivlin told the Seattle Times. ``But he had a lot of heart, and he lived his life with bravery and righteousness.″

_Deckhand Jeff Meincke, 20, was working aboard the Arctic Rose to earn money for college. He had attended Chaminade University in Hawaii for a year but was unsure what to do next. A visit to Alaska with friends convinced him to go to sea.

``He thought it was the greatest thing in the world,″ said his father, David Meincke of Lacey, Wash. ``He loved being out there.″

_Shawn Bouchard, 25, of Harlowton, Mont., and high school friend James Mills, 24, of Judith Gap, Mont., took the fishing boat job to pay debts and clear their way to begin a religious mission, said Bouchard’s father, John Bouchard.

``They picked a dangerous job on purpose,″ he said. ``The mission field can be very dangerous, and they figured if they could get through this ...″

_First Mate Kerry Egan, of Britt, Minn., had hoped to become a captain. The 45-year-old father of two, ages 18 and 20, regaled relatives with sea stories but knew the dangers of commercial fishing.

``He always said he would die at sea,″ sister-in-law Trish Egan said. ``He knew that was his life, and he knew that was a very, very high-risk job.″

Update hourly