Judge Drops Terror Charges Vs. Moroccans
ROME (AP) _ A judge dropped terrorism charges Monday against five Moroccans jailed in January after they were found with explosives and maps of London, their lawyer said.
Police said a search of their apartment near the northern city of Rovigo had turned up two pounds of explosives and maps of central London and the city’s subway.
News reports at the time also said authorities found the plans of NATO bases in Italy.
The terrorism charges were dropped because the investigation didn’t turn up any evidence of either links with terrorist groups or terrorist activity, said lawyer Sofia Tiengo.
The men still face charges of illegal possession of explosives and remain in jail, Tiengo said.
The suspects maintained the explosives were found in an abandoned building where some of them had been squatting.