San Diego man, 92, pleads guilty to killing sleeping son
SAN DIEGO (AP) — A 92-year-old San Diego man who shot his sleeping son in the head has pleaded guilty to voluntary manslaughter and will avoid prison.
The San Diego Union-Tribune says Richard Peck entered the plea Wednesday. The former attorney could have faced up to 11 years in prison but is expected to receive probation and home detention.
A murder charge was dismissed under terms of Peck’s plea agreement.
Peck shot his son, 51-year-old Robert Peck, in the head with a shotgun at his home early last year.
His attorney said the son was an alcoholic who committed “extreme psychological abuse” of his father and tried to frighten him into a heart attack. Police were called to the home 14 times last summer and the son was once committed for mental health evaluation.