AP NEWS
Related topics

Update on the latest sports

September 18, 2018

MLB-NEWS

Betts sits out, Judge returns

UNDATED (AP) — Red Sox star Mookie Betts will sit out Boston’s series opener against the New York Yankees on Tuesday night after injuring his left side Sunday.

Boston manager Alex Cora says Betts was originally in his starting lineup before rain pushed Tuesday’s game back six hours to a 7:05 p.m. first pitch. Cora scratched Betts out of caution because of the soggy conditions.

Meanwhile, Aaron Judge is returning to the New York Yankees’ starting lineup for the first time since breaking his right wrist on July 26. Judge is batting second and playing right field against Boston.

Boston leads the AL East by 11½ games. The Red Sox can clinch the AL East at Yankee Stadium with a single win during their three-game series that begins tonight.

In other baseball news:

— White Sox slugger Jose Abreu (ah-BRAY’-oo) will miss Chicago’s three-game series against the Cleveland Indians because of an infection in his right thigh. Manager Rick Renteria says Abreu was hospitalized in Cleveland on Tuesday, where he had the infection “cleaned up.” The 31-year-old spent three weeks on the disabled list after undergoing surgery to repair a testicular torsion. He was activated on Sept. 10 and is hitless in his last 20 at-bats.

— Trevor Bauer threw to hitters for the first time since breaking his right leg last month and hopes to be back on the mound for Cleveland in time for the postseason. The right-hander pitched three simulated innings of about 17-to-19 pitches per inning. He has been sidelined since he was struck on the lower leg by a line drive off the bat of Chicago’s Jose Abreu on Aug. 11.

— Left-hander Justus Sheffield was put on the major league roster by the New York Yankees and could make his major league debut this week. The 22-year-old was 6-4 with a 2.56 ERA in 15 starts and five relief appearances for Triple-A Scranton Wilkes/Barre this year after going 1-2 with a 2.25 ERA in five starts for Double-A Trenton. New York moved him to the bullpen in late August as preparation for a possible call-up as a reliever.

NFL-NEWS

Vikings sign ex-Cowboys kicker Bailey after cutting rookie

UNDATED (AP) — The Minnesota Vikings have signed kicker Dan Bailey, owner of the second-best field goal percentage in NFL history and replacement for rookie Daniel Carlson.

Bailey’s deal was done Tuesday, after the Vikings waived Carlson fresh from his 0-for-3 game at Green Bay. The fifth-round draft pick from Auburn missed field goals of 48, 49 and 35 yards, with the last two failed tries coming in overtime and forcing the Vikings to settle for a 29-29 tie with the Packers.

Bailey has made 186 of 211 field-goal attempts, an accuracy greater than 88 percent that trails only Baltimore’s Justin Tucker. But Bailey slumped last season after a groin injury that kept him out for four games, and the Cowboys released him right before the regular season in a cost-saving move.

To make room for Bailey, the Vikings waived wide receiver Stacy Coley.

In other NFL news:

— The Cowboys have re-signed veteran receiver Brice Butler, who had left Dallas in free agency last spring but was released by the Arizona Cardinals before the season. Dallas released rookie safety Tyree Robinson on Tuesday to make room on its roster. Dallas also released defensive tackle Aziz Shittu from the practice squad, and signed defensive tackle Adolphus Washington to the practice squad.

— The Oakland Raiders promoted linebacker Shilique Calhoun from the practice squad to the 53-man roster. The Raiders waived defensive tackle Brian Price on Tuesday to make room for Calhoun, who was a third-round pick in 2016. He has played 20 games over three years.

— The Tennessee Titans have brought back cornerback Kenneth Durden and promoted running back Dalyn Dawkins to the roster from the practice squad. The Titans waived linebacker Aaron Wallace on Tuesday to create a roster spot. They also signed a trio to the practice squad and removed tight end Jerome Cunningham from the practice squad.

— The Detroit Lions have waived offensive lineman Jamil Demby and released safety Marcus Cromartie from injured reserve. Cromartie injured his hip during Detroit’s final preseason game. Demby was taken in the sixth round of the draft by the Los Angeles Rams. He was awarded to the Lions via waivers last week.

— The Buffalo Bills have signed cornerback Ryan Lewis off their practice squad to address a position depleted after Vontae Davis abruptly left the team on Sunday. The Bills initially claimed Lewis off waivers on Sept. 2 after he spent last season on the New England Patriots practice squad. The Bills cut Lewis on Sept. 12 before re-signing him to their practice squad a day later. The Bills also signed cornerback Michael Hunter and receiver Hunter Sharp to their practice squad.

— Pittsburgh Steelers coach Mike Tomlin wants to talk to Antonio Brown about the Pro Bowl wide receiver’s social media usage. Tomlin said Tuesday he plans to talk to Brown directly following Brown’s latest outburst. Brown responded to criticism on Twitter by a former team employee by suggesting the Steelers trade him.

— Los Angeles Chargers defensive tackle Corey Liuget (LEE’-jiht) has sued the trainer who he says is responsible for his four-game suspension for using a performance-enhancing substance. Liuget filed suit against Ian Danney and his Arizona-based business in Los Angeles, asking for a jury trial and no less than $15 million in damages. The suit says Danney injected Liuget with a substance banned by the FDA and the NFL.

NFL-HALL OF FAME DISPUTE

Hall of Fame members threaten boycott

UNDATED (AP) — A group of Pro Football Hall of Famers is demanding health insurance coverage and a share of NFL revenues or else those former players will boycott the induction ceremonies.

In a letter sent to NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell, NFLPA Executive Director DeMaurice Smith and Hall of Fame President David Baker — and obtained by The Associated Press — 21 Hall of Fame members cited themselves as “integral to the creation of the modern NFL, which in 2017 generated $14 billion in revenue.”

Among the signees were Eric Dickerson, who is listed as chairman of the newly created Hall of Fame Board the group has formed, Jim Brown, Jerry Rice, Joe Namath, Lawrence Taylor, and Sarah White, the widow of Reggie White.

NBA-NEWS

Heat say Dion Waiters won’t be ready for training camp

UNDATED (AP) — Miami Heat guard Dion Waiters will begin this season as he finished last season — unable to play.

The team announced Tuesday that Waiters has not recovered enough from left ankle surgery to be ready for the start of training camp next week. Heat President Pat Riley says it’s unlikely that Waiters will be ready for the start of the regular season as well.

The announcement wasn’t a total surprise. Waiters was told when he had the procedure in mid-January that he could be sidelined for up to 10 months.

In other NBA news:

— Minnesota Timberwolves center Justin Patton has had surgery for a broken foot for the second straight year and is out indefinitely. The team said Tuesday that Patton’s operation on his right foot in New York went as planned. Patton sustained the same injury, a fractured fifth metatarsal, on his left loot last year after he was drafted 16th overall out of Creighton. He was acquired by the Timberwolves in the draft-night trade with Chicago for Jimmy Butler.

— NBA Commissioner Adam Silver and National Basketball Players Association executive director Michele Roberts have sent a letter to players around the league reminding them that help with their mental health is available. Several players including All-Stars Kevin Love and DeMar DeRozan last season revealed and detailed their struggles with mental health. Cleveland coach Tyronn Lue also said during the NBA Finals that he was treated for anxiety last season.

— Michael Jordan is donating $2 million dollars to assist residents affected by Hurricane Florence. The former NBA star says the destruction caused by Hurricane Florence to his hometown of Wilmington, North Carolina, prompted him to act quickly. The six-time NBA champion and Charlotte Hornets owner contributed $1 million each to the American Red Cross and the Foundation For The Carolinas’ Hurricane Florence Response Fund.

TENNIS-CHAIR UMPIRE SUSPENDED

US Open umpire who spoke to Kyrgios gets 2-tournament ban

UNDATED (AP) — The chair umpire who climbed out of his seat to talk with Nick Kyrgios (KEER’-ee-ohs) during a U.S. Open match has been suspended for two tournaments by the ATP.

A statement issued by the men’s tour on Tuesday says that Mohamed Lahyani will not officiate at his next two scheduled events, the China Open in Beijing, which starts on Oct. 1, and the Shanghai Masters the following week.

The ATP says Layhani’s actions during Kyrgios’ second-round victory over Pierre-Hugues Herbert at Flushing Meadows on Aug. 30 were “deemed to have compromised the impartiality that is required of an official.”

Lahyani will be able to resume umpiring at the Stockholm Open on Oct. 15.

AP RADIO
Update hourly