Five things you need to know today, Oct. 5
Take a look at the news in and around Odessa on Friday, Oct. 5. Find complete local news coverage in the Odessa American every day, online at oaoa.com and our daily E-Edition at myoaoa.com.
1. The Odessa Chamber of Commerce is bringing the heat at their eighth annual Basin BBQ Blowout at the Ector County Coliseum.
2. Odessans are rallying behind a family that lost three members in a Monday car crash that investigators say was caused by the drivers of two Dodge Challengers who were racing down 16th Street.
3. Last spring, Al Lara of Al’s Complete Auto Repair contacted the ECISD Communications Department and asked how he could organize an anti-bullying event this fall.
4. Commissioner of Education Mike Morath has announced that eight Texas school districts, including Ector County Independent School District, have been selected to be part of the inaugural Lone Star Governance Exemplar Cohort.
5. IN SPORTS: On a hot, breezy afternoon at UTPB Park, the Permian boys’ cross country team served notice that it is ready to compete and defend its District 2-6A title next week in Amarillo.