Sultan of Brunei Tops Fortune Magazine List With PM-Billionaires
NEW YORK (AP) _ Here are the top 10 entries in Fortune magazine’s 1993 ranking of the world’s billionaires, with name, home, source of wealth and estimated fortune in billions of dollars:
1. Sultan of Brunei and family; oil and gas, real estate, investments; $37.
2. Walton family, Arkansas and California; Wal-Mart stores; $23.5.
3. Forrest Mars Sr., Nevada; Forrest Mars Jr., Virginia; John Mars, Virginia; Jacqueline Mars Vogel, New Jersey; Mars Inc.; $14.
4. Minoru Mori and Akira Mori, Japan; real estate; $13.
5. Samuel I. Newhouse Jr., Donald E. Newhouse and family, New York; publishing and broadcasting; $10.
6. King Fahd, Saudi Arabia; oil and gas; $10.
7. John Werner Kluge, Virginia; communications and real estate; $8.8.
8. Gad Rausing, Hans Rausing; England; liquid-food packaging; $8.5.
9. Queen Elizabeth II, England; real estate, stock investments, race horses, jewelry and art; $7.8.
10. Toichi Takenaka and family, Japan, construction, $7.1.