AP NEWS

Jury returns verdict, convicting Scottsbluff man of sexual assault

February 13, 2019

SCOTTSBLUFF — A Scotts Bluff County District Court convicted a 50-year-old Scottsbluff man on a charge of forcing a woman to have sex against her will.

A jury returned a verdict against Richard Requejo Tuesday afternoon, convicting him on a charge of first-degree sexual assault, a Class II felony. Trial against Requejo began Monday.

Charges against Requejo stem from report to Scottsbluff Police by a woman who alleged she had been sexually assaulted on May 7, 2018. She told police she had been at Requejo’s residence, drinking alcohol when she said he had begun to take off her clothes, kissing her on the lips and body and he assaulted her. The woman told police she had asked him to stop several times and pleaded with him not to rape her.

Initially, according to the affidavit, the man denied that he had raped the woman. He was arrested after an interview at the Nebraska State Patrol.

A sentencing date was not yet available in online court records. State statute for the charge is a maximum sentence of 50 years imprisonment and a minimum of one-year imprisonment. However, prosecutors are also pursuing a habitual criminal charge against Requejo, meaning that he has been twice convicted of a felony and, if the court finds him to be a habitual criminal, his sentence would be enhanced, with a mandatory minimum term of at least 25 years and a maximum term of not more than 60 years.

AP RADIO
Update hourly