AP NEWS

Lens on History: You Darling … a Nash!

November 28, 2018
History Center of Olmsted County archives

In 1911, the 300 block of First Avenue Southwest became known as “Automobile Row” because three of the four earliest automobile dealers were in that one block.

In 1946, Clinton Marti may have been trying to re-create automobile row on the other side of Broadway when he opened Marti Nash Motors at 318 First Ave. SE. He was selling Nash, one of the top quality cars of its time, and his new building filled with the latest equipment would make Marti Nash Motors state of the art in 1946.

However, it never occurred to Clinton that he may have been on the wrong side of the Zumbro River in an area that early settlers called East Rochester.

Marti Nash Motors struggled along until 1951, when Marti sold the building to National Bushing Auto Parts and opened Marti Oldsmobile on South Broadway, on the right side of the Zumbro.

AP RADIO
Update hourly