Prominent lawyer Alan Dershowitz denies underage sex claims
MIAMI (AP) — Prominent American lawyer Alan Dershowitz has filed a detailed denial of a woman’s claims he had sexual contact with her when she was underage in a case that also involves Britain’s Prince Andrew — and now her two attorneys have sued him for alleged defamation.
The court document filed late Monday says Dershowitz has multiple witnesses to refute the allegations made by the woman, identified only as Jane Doe No. 3. She claims wealthy financier Jeffrey Epstein required her to have sex with Dershowitz, Prince Andrew and others when she was still under age 18.
Buckingham Palace has also emphatically denied her allegations about Prince Andrew. Dershowitz, who has previously made general denials, said in the court document the allegations “threaten to damage my reputation irrevocably.”
“Never under any circumstances have I ever had any sexual contact of any kind, which includes massages or any physical contact whatsoever, with Jane Doe No. 3,” Dershowitz said.
Epstein pleaded guilty in 2008 to Florida state sex charges but avoided more serious federal charges in a deal negotiated partly by Dershowitz. Dershowitz, a Harvard law professor, is perhaps best known for defending former football star O.J. Simpson and also Claus Von Bulow in the “Reversal of Fortune” case.
The allegations against Prince Andrew, the second son of Queen Elizabeth II who is also known as the Duke of York, and Dershowitz surfaced last week in a long-running lawsuit involving Epstein. Four unidentified women claiming to be his victims as minors are suing the U.S. government over its plea deal with Epstein, contending their rights were violated and seeking to have the agreement thrown out.
Paul Cassell, a University of Utah law professor, and Florida attorney Bradley J. Edwards, who are representing the women, filed their lawsuit Tuesday against Dershowitz after he told CNN that they are the “villains” in this case and that they had failed to fact check their clients’ claims.
“They are lying and I can prove it,” Dershowitz told CNN.
Cassell and Edwards say their reputations had been defamed by such comments and were seeking an unspecified amount of damages.
Cassell had earlier said that Jane Doe No. 3 feels she has been “viciously attacked” by Dershowitz.
“Our four victims do not oppose Mr. Dershowitz having an opportunity to present his arguments to the court,” Cassell said.
Among Jane Doe No. 3′s allegations are that she had sex with Dershowitz on a private Caribbean island owned by Epstein. Dershowitz said in his response he was there only one time with his wife and daughter, and that they all slept overnight in the same room together after having dinner with Epstein and others.
“During our entire stay on the island, we never saw any young women that fit the description of Jane Doe No. 3,” Dershowitz said.
Another claim was that Dershowitz had sex with Jane Doe No. 3 at a house Epstein owns in New Mexico. According to Dershowitz, he visited one time while it was under construction — again with his wife and daughter — and neither Epstein nor any young girls were there.
Dershowitz also said it was impossible he had sex with Jane Doe No. 3 aboard Epstein’s private airplane as she claims. Dershowitz acknowledges flying on the plane on several occasions, once to watch a rocket launch at Cape Canaveral, but never with any young girls present.
“Had her lawyers called me, I would have provided them this information and told them to check the manifests,” Dershowitz said.