Pit of boiling water burns firefighter at Seattle facility
SEATTLE (AP) — A Seattle firefighter working to extinguish a furnace fire at a metal-production facility accidentally stepped into a 2-foot-deep pit filled with boiling water and suffered burns to his legs.
Fire Department spokesman Kyle Moore says the man in his 30s didn’t see the pit because of smoke in the foundry. Runoff from fire hoses had filled the pit to floor level.
Moore says medics took the firefighter to Harborview Medical Center, where he’s in stable condition and expected to stay overnight.
A worker at the Meltec Foundry also suffered splatter burns from the fire and was treated at the hospital. The man in his 30s is in stable condition.
Other workers were safely evacuated. Firefighters knocked down the fire and used fans to cool off the building and clear smoke.