Fire destroys Boston home that doubled as dentist’s office
BOSTON (AP) — Fire officials say a blaze sparked by an accident with dental equipment at a home in Boston’s Mattapan section injured a firefighter and two other people.
Crews responded to the house fire on Babson Street around 4 p.m. Monday. The building serves as both a residence and a dentist’s office.
Fire Commissioner Joseph Finn says first responders were met by “an elderly gentleman” who said his adult son was still inside the engulfed home.
The son was pulled from the 2 ½ story structure and was taken to Boston Medical Center with life-threatening injuries. His father was also hospitalized with injuries. He is expected to survive.
A firefighter who slipped and fell inside the home was hospitalized for a leg injury.
The home is considered a total loss.