Person arrested in US barbershop slayings of 3 men
DETROIT (AP) — A convicted felon who was wearing body armor when police arrested him in a Detroit suburb will be questioned in an investigation into the fatal shooting of three men in a back gambling room of a barbershop.
Detroit Police Chief James Craig described the man as a person of interest in Wednesday evening’s shooting at Al’s Barber Shop that left six other people wounded. Speaking at a Thursday news conference at police headquarters, Craig said the bloodshed may have stemmed from an ongoing feud.
Craig did not name the person of interest and provided few details about the arrest. He said Rochester police picked up the man north of Detroit without incident on an unrelated felonious assault charge.
Craig said 20 to 30 people were gambling in a tiny back room at the barbershop in a strip mall when shots were fired from a high-powered rifle through an open back door.
When the gunfire began, the gamblers tried to escape the room through a door that led back into the barbershop, but that the jam of bodies prevented them from escaping.
Craig declined to say whether police think the person of interest is the shooter. But he would say that the shooter is suspected in at least two other violent crimes.
Two of Wednesday’s shooting victims died inside the gambling room. The third died later at a hospital. The conditions of the survivors were not available.
Detroit has one of the highest violent crime rates in the country. Including Wednesday night’s barbershop slayings, 289 criminal homicides have been committed so far this year in the city.
Associated Press writers David N. Goodman and David Runk contributed to this report.