Related topics

Desert Storm, Cyanide Case Both Claim Loved Ones of Silverdale Couple

March 12, 1991

BREMERTON, Wash. (AP) _ Tragedy came twice to Kay and John Glynn in the space of three short weeks - once from the desert battlefield of Saudi Arabia and once from the seeming safety of a supermarket.

Their son-in-law, Michael Linderman Jr., died in the Persian Gulf on Jan. 29 when the armored vehicle he was riding on was hit by friendly fire during a skirmish with Iraqi soldiers.

Then Stanley McWhorter, the Glynns’ good friend and best man at their daughter Christina’s wedding, died Feb. 18 after he took a capsule of cyanide- laced cold medication.

″We’ve had so much grief and heartache this past month, it’s unbelievable,″ Mrs. Glynn said. ″I just want to go out and scream sometimes.″

About the time Linderman was killed, the Glynns were at a hospital visiting Mrs. Glynn’s mother, Katie Grube, 80, who had suffered a brain hemorrhage after a fall.

They were chatting when the elderly woman gave her daughter a strange look and said: ″Christie is going to call us and tell us when they’re going to bring Michael home.″

Then she broke off and said nothing more until a few minutes later: ″We’ll be finding out when Michael is coming home real soon.″

″It was the strangest thing,″ Mrs. Glynn recalled.

That same day, the Glynns heard news reports that two U.S. light armored vehicles had been hit and several Marines had died.

Their 18-year-old daughter called later from the base in California where Linderman had been stationed with word of his death.

On Feb. 12, the Glynns and their daughter attended Linderman’s funeral. With them were Stanley and Janie McWhorter, the best man and matron of honor when Christina and Michael Linderman married just 13 months earlier.

The Glynns said McWhorter was suffering cold symptoms at the funeral and was still sick when they spoke to him on the phone a few days later. Six days later, McWhorter, 44, took a Sudafed 12 Hour cold capsule.

He died at a hospital later that day.

For more than a week, the cause of death was unknown. Then one night Mrs. McWhorter saw a television newscast about the cyanide poisonings of two women, one of whom became seriously ill, while the other died. Both had taken Sudafed capsules.

Mrs. McWhorter immediately called the coroner, who checked the capsules her husband had taken and verified they had the same lot numbers implicated in the cyanide poisonings. The death was later confirmed to be from cyanide.

Update hourly