AP NEWS
Related topics

Gunman Shoots Eight at Fast-Food Restaurant

October 12, 1985

DETROIT (AP) _ A 17-year-old gunman armed with a rifle or sawed-off shotgun opened fire in a McDonald’s restaurant crowded with lunch-time patrons Friday, wounding 10 teen-agers, none critically, police said.

The gunman and two other male teen-agers, ages 17 and 18, were arrested within an hour of the shootings, said Deputy Police Chief Richard Dungy, who refused to release the suspects’ names.

The shooting at the restaurant, on a commercial strip across from Detroit Cody High School, apparently was the culmination of a dispute between students at the school and non-students, Dungy said.

″It appears this altercation stemmed from an argument over alleged damage to one vehicle,″ Dungy said. ″All the victims were under 18 so we’re assuming they all were from Cody.″

Some of the wounded ″probably were innocent bystanders,″ he said.

Dungy said he could not confirm earlier police reports that the violence may may have been gang-related. ″The three individuals we have in custody, we have no record of them being involved in gangs,″ he said.

The gunman was arrested several blocks away, said Dungy. He would not say where the other two were arrested.

Three of the injured, boys ages 14, 15 and 16, were taken to Oakwood Hospital where they were in stable condition with ″open abrasions,″ said hospital spokeswoman Pat O’Dowd.

She said the wounds didn’t appear to be from gunshots. ″It could be some fragments,″ she said.

Seven people, ages 14 to 18, were taken to Mount Carmel Mercy Hospital in Detroit, but only three were admitted, said hospital spokeswoman Virginia Calihan. An 18-year-old victim was reported in serious condition with a gunshot wound in the chest and an irregular heartbeat, while a 17-year-old boy was in serious condition with a gunshot wound to the abdomen. A 15-year-old boy was in satisfactory condition with extensive wounds to the arm. All were expected to recover.

A 21-year-old Detroit man who declined to give his name said he was eating lunch when he heard shots, looked up and saw ″fire coming from the gun. I heard the shots and put my head on the floor.

″After the shots, everyone was breaking for the door. It looked like Vietnam, everybody was running for their life,″ he said. ″I didn’t see who had the gun, I just saw the fire.″

The gunman used a sawed-off rifle or shotgun and drove away after the shooting, Deputy Police Chief Joseph Areeda said.

A student from Cody High School, who declined to give his name, said the same people involved in the shooting had fought earlier in the day at the high school.

Jermaine Mosley, 14, of Detroit said he was walking by the restaurant when he saw a fight involving several people going on inside. He said he heard someone shout ″Why did you shoot up my car?,″ followed by shooting. Then ″all of them just started scattering,″ he said.

Police cordoned off the restaurant, which was filled with students and other lunch-time patrons from the busy commercial area on Joy Road.

Bob Keyser, McDonald’s Corp. spokesman in Hinsdale, Ill., said he had no information or comment about the shooting.

Twenty-one people were killed July 18, 1984, at a McDonald’s restaurant in San Ysidro, Calif., by James Oliver Huberty before the gunman was shot to death by a police sniper.

Twenty other people were wounded in that massacre, the worst single-day killing by one person. That McDonald’s was later demolished and the land given to the city of San Diego, which oversees the border town.

AP RADIO
Update hourly