Several hikers stung by swarm of bees in Ansonia
ANSONIA - Several hikers were stung by a swarm of bees at the Ansonia Nature Center Thursday night,
Ansonia Rescue and Medical Services said there were multiple patients reported, and one experiencing a severe anaphylactic shock.
ARMS ambulances, Special Operations team, and all terrain vehicles responded.
“A search was conducted and the patient was eventually located several miles into the woods, suffering a severe reaction with airway compromised, ARMS posted on its Facebook page.
“The patient was treated and the reaction was controlled in time before the patient’s condition deteriorated any further.”
“Paramedic support arrived on scene and provided advanced treatment of the patient. The patient and hikers were ultimately extricated from the woods on the all terrain vehicles, to waiting ambulances.”
Support from Derby and Seymour was also provided with their UTVs in the woods assisting.
“Really outstanding work with all involved, and very fortunate to have reached and treated the patient in time,” ARMS said.
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention says anaphylactic shock is the body’s severe allergic reaction to a bite or sting and requires immediate emergency care.
“Thousands of people are stung by insects each year, and as many as 90-100 people in the United States die as a result of allergic reactions. This number may be underreported as deaths may be mistakenly diagnosed as heart attacks or sun strokes or may be attributed to other causes.”
It’s unclear what kind of bees stung the Ansonia hikers.
Honeybees, wasps, hornets, fire ants, and yellow jackets may look different and have different homes, but they all sting when they are upset, according to the Connecticut Children’s Medical Center.
“Wasps and many bees can sting more than once because they are able to pull out their stinger without injuring themselves. Only honeybees have special hooks on their stinger that keep the stinger in the skin after a person is stung. The stinger gets torn out of the bee’s body as it tries to fly away. As a result, the honeybee dies after stinging.”