Profiles of Smith Trial Jurors With PM-Kennedy-Assault, Bjt
WEST PALM BEACH, Fla. (AP) _ These are the jurors who acquitted William Kennedy Smith. Florida requires only six jurors in non-capital cases. The two alternates didn’t join deliberations.
- Lea Haller, 37, cosmetics wholesaler. Youngest juror. Her Texas-based business had $2.5 million in sales last year. Her company donated $25 to Lt. Col. Oliver North’s legal defense fund, but it wasn’t a personal donation.
- Mary Kracunas, 63, employee of the Palm Beach County supervisor of elections. A Roman Catholic convert who described her late church pastor as the person she admired most.
- J. Darrell Peacock, 54, Florida Power & Light executive who was a surgeon’s assistant in the Air Force. A Methodist who rarely attends services. Said he respects his father and President Bush more than anyone else.
- Thomas Stearns Jr., 62, Army veteran who said he was awarded seven Purple Hearts for Vietnam service. Listed no religious affiliation. Named Gen. William Westmoreland as his favorite public figure.
- Doris Welsch, 60, worked for 30 years in husband’s air conditioning business in Philadelphia. A Lutheran who was formerly a Roman Catholic. Named Bush as favorite public person.
- Priscilla Roper, 44, assistant office manager at upscale senior condominium complex in Delray Beach. A Roman Catholic convert who admires Bob Hope.
- Samuel Celaya, 44, mechanic who coaches youth basketball in the Police Athletic League. Army veteran and Roman Catholic. Favorite public figure is Magic Johnson. His wife created a disturbance at hotel where jurors were sequestered, protesting her husband’s stay away from home.
- Judith Jackson, 52, worked with her husband in a hardware and marine business for 20 years. Now retired. A Protestant. Said the people she admires most are Bush and her husband.