AP NEWS
Related topics

Utility Worker, Almost Electrocuted in 1967, Jolted Again

September 10, 1991

JACKSONVILLE, Fla. (AP) _ A utility worker nearly electrocuted in 1967 was jolted again Monday by 26,000 of volts of electricity.

Randall G. Champion, 52, of Jacksonville was listed in critical condition with third-degree burns at Orlando Regional Medical Center, spokesman Joe Brown said.

Champion was an apprentice lineman in 1967 when he had his first brush with electrocution. He came in contact with a 4,200-volt line and dangled upside- down from a pole unconscious as a co-worker gave him mouth-to-mouth resuscitation.

Jacksonville Journal photographer Rocco Morabito’s picture of the rescue earned a Pulitzer Prize.

Champion was working alone Monday when he shocked. He was replacing a fuse when he apparently came in contact with a switching apparatus, utility officials said.

Champion was conscious when he left the scene Monday, Jacksonville Electric Authority spokesman Clyde Montgomery said. His condition could be complicated by a 1988 heart attack and ensuing bypass surgery, Brown said.

AP RADIO
Update hourly