AP NEWS
Related topics

Latest: City of Chicago says it will release shooting video

November 19, 2015

CHICAGO (AP) — The latest on a judge deciding whether to order Chicago police to release a video that is said to show an officer shooting a black teenager 16 times (all times local):

5:20 p.m.

The city of Chicago says it will release a video of an officer fatally shooting a black teenager by next week as ordered by a judge.

Cook County Judge Franklin Valderrama earlier on Thursday refused to give the Chicago Police Department more time before the release while the city decided whether to appeal. It was initially thought an appeal was likely.

But a statement a few hours later from Mayor Rahm Emanuel’s office indicates there will be no appeal. The statement says “it appears an officer violated (the public’s) trust at every level.”

The video is said to show the officer shooting 17-year-old Laquan McDonald 16 times in October 2014.

The statement says the city will release the video by Wednesday as ordered. It adds that it hopes the release “will provide prosecutors time to ... bring their investigation to a conclusion so Chicago can begin to heal.”

___

2:40 p.m.

A judge says his order for the Chicago Police Department to publicly release a video of an officer fatally shooting a black teenager in less than a week will stand.

The attorney for the department had asked Cook County Judge Franklin Valderrama to allow more time before the release while the city decides whether to appeal Thursday’s decision. But the judge says no and that it should be released by next Wednesday.

The video is said to show the officer shooting 17-year-old Laquan McDonald 16 times in October 2014.

Some including the teen’s mother worry the video could spark violent protests.

The city has already reached a $5 million settlement with the McDonald family and a grand jury is expected to decide whether to indict Officer Jason Van Dyke as soon as next week.

___

2:30 p.m.

A judge has ordered the Chicago Police Department to publicly release a video of an officer shooting a black teenager 16 times last year.

Cook County Judge Franklin Valderrama on Thursday gave the department until Nov. 25 to release the dash camera video. The attorney for the department asked the judge to allow more time before the release while the city decides whether to appeal the decision.

Some including the teen’s mother worry the video could spark violent protests.

The judge’s ruling was expected by attorneys in the case. That includes the lawyer for the officer who shot and killed 17-year-old Laquan McDonald who said there was no legal basis to suppress the video.

The city has already reached a $5 million settlement with the McDonald family and a grand jury is expected to decide whether to indict Officer Jason Van Dyke as soon as next week.

___

12 p.m.

The attorney for a Chicago police officer who fatally shot a black teenager says he’s concerned for the safety of the officer if the dash camera video of the incident is released.

Dan Herbert says in this “day and age” there’s the possibility that someone could try to harm Officer Jason Van Dyke because they don’t understand the context in which the shooting occurred. Herbert is bracing for a judge to order the video’s release because the lawyer does not see any legal basis to suppress it.

The judge is expected to announce Thursday whether he will grant a Freedom of Information request and allow the video of the October 2014 shooting death of Laquan McDonald by Van Dyke to be made public.

The video is said to show the officer shooting the teen 16 times.

___

1 a.m.

Chicago police may be forced to release video that is said to show an officer shooting a black teenager 16 times.

A Cook County judge is expected to decide Thursday whether to order police to release dash camera video of the October 2014 shooting death of 17-year-old Laquan McDonald.

Police have said McDonald refused to drop a knife when officers confronted him while responding to a call about a person walking down a street with a knife.

An attorney for McDonald’s family who has seen the video says the footage shows the teen was holding a small knife and walking away from officers when one officer opened fire.

A freelance journalist requested the footage in a public records request. Judge Franklin Valderrama has said he would announce his decision Thursday.