AP NEWS

Iowa man injured when he lights a cigarette and his camper explodes

October 2, 2018

An Iowa man suuffered serious burns to his face and hands Sunday when his trailer exploded as he was lighting a cigarette.

Brett Nuzu, 28, of Kiron, had opened the door to his camper to go outside to light a cigarette when the camper exploded about 2 p.m., according to the Crawford County Sheriff’s Office. The camper was parked behind three buildings in the northwest Iowa town of Schleswig.

Nuzu was taken to the Crawford County Memorial Hospital in Denison and later moved by helicopter to another facility for treatment of his burns, officials said. The three buildings, which formed a U-shaped wall around the camper, all had minor damage to their exteriors.

The camper was destroyed.

AP RADIO
Update hourly