Local college football players recap: Former Rebels shine in S.C. State loss
Former Strom Thurmond quarterback Tyrece Nick had one of the top performances among former area players who took the field Saturday.
The S.C. State sophomore completed 14 of 23 passes for 199 yards and threw the Bulldogs’ only touchdown in a loss to Norfolk State. He also ran for 68 yards. Fellow Strom Thurmond product Chad Gilchrist led the Bulldogs on the defensive side with 11 tackles and 1.5 tackles for loss.
• DeJuan Bell — The former North Augusta athlete had one carry for seven yards and returned one kickoff for 21 yards in Furman’s loss.
• Kameron Brown — The former Midland Valley Mustang caught one pass for 14 yards in Charleston Southern’s loss to Elon.
• Colby Campbell — Campbell, a South Aiken grad, had 10 tackles, a tackle for loss and a sack in Presbyterian’s victory.
• Dre Dunbar — The Former North Augusta Yellow Jacket caught four passes for 46 yards in Catawba’s loss to Mars Hill.
• Tarron Jackson — The Silver Bluff grad made five tackles, two tackles for loss and a sack in Coastal Carolina’s victory.
• Tre Lawson — The defensive lineman from North Augusta made one tackle in Mississippi Gulf Coast’s loss.
• Willie McCloud — McCloud ran for 65 yards on 15 carries in Pikeville’s victory.
• Joe Mozone — Mozone made three tackles and 1.5 tackles for loss.
• Mannie Ogletree — The North Augusta grad made two tackles in Limestone’s loss.
• Chris Roberts — The former South Aiken running back ran the ball nine times for 31 yards and scored his first collegiate touchdown in Mars Hill’s victory.
• Bowen Smith — The South Aiken alum completed 12 of 19 passes for 146 yards and a touchdown. He ran for 48 yards and a touchdown in Pikeville’s victory.
• Cederick Trottie — Trottie, a Silver Bluff product, made two tackles, forced a fumble and recovered a fumble in Benedict’s victory.
• R.J. Tyler — The former Wagener-Salley tight end caught two passes for 34 yards and a touchdown in Charlotte’s loss.