CHARLOTTE, N.C. (AP) — The dean of the troubled Charlotte School of Law is stepping down.

Jay Conison led the for-profit school for almost four years, The Charlotte Observer (http://bit.ly/2mJsjlw) reported. The school announced his departure Monday afternoon. The statement said Conison will remain on the faculty.

A longtime faculty member, former federal prosecutor Scott Broyles, will serve as interim dean.

"I am honored that the faculty has placed its trust in me as we move forward," Broyles said in the school's statement. "While we face serious challenges, our aim is clear: to restore faith in our institution through consistent standards in admissions and best practices in the classroom."

The school's alumni last month had called on Conison to resign.

"We are excited about Dean Broyles' vision for the Charlotte School of Law and for his leadership," said Charlotte attorney Lee Robertson Jr, president of the alumni association.

The school was placed on probation in November by the American Bar Association because of problems with admission, curriculum and bar exam test scores.

The U.S. Education Department in December removed access to student loans, the first time an accredited law school has lost access to the student loan program.

The Education Department accused school officials of hiding its problems from current and potential students.

Last year, the school's students received more than $48 million to cover tuition, fees and living expenses.

___

Information from: The Charlotte Observer, http://www.charlotteobserver.com