Longmont Fire That Killed Person Was Accidental
A mobile home fire that killed a person in Longmont on Friday likely started because of careless smoking near combustible material, according to Longmont fire investigators.
Longmont Firefighter Molly Cropp said investigators ruled the fire as accidental.
Cropp said that investigators found smoke detectors inside the home, but investigators do not know if the smoke detectors were functional.
The identity of the resident has not been released, and the Boulder County Coroner’s Office could not immediately be reached for comment on Saturday morning.
Firefighters responded to the mobile home in the Weston Manor Mobile Home Park, 729 17th Ave., at around 8:50 a.m. Friday after neighbors reported the smoke.
Six of the department’s seven units responded and found heavy smoke. A search crew tried to enter the home but heavy smoke prevented its entry. Fire crews pushed the flames back enough so that they could enter the home, where they found the victim.
Firefighters had the fire under control in about 20 minutes.
A cat also died in the fire.
John Bear: 303-473-1355, email@example.com or twitter.com/johnbearwithme