Click to copy
Click to copy
Related topics

Scars Stay With Three Survivors Of Bundy’s Sorority Rampage

January 23, 1989

TALLAHASSEE, Fla. (AP) _ Three women who survived Ted Bundy’s murderous rampage at a sorority house and a nearby apartment building 11 years ago have rebuilt their lives, but physical and emotional scars remain.

Bundy, scheduled to be executed Tuesday for the kidnap-murder of a 12-year- old Lake City girl, is also under death sentences for the bludgeoning murders of two Chi Omega sorority sisters at Florida State University.

Early on the morning of Jan. 15, 1978, Bundy roamed from bedroom to bedroom of the sorority house, wielding a 3-foot-long oak limb. Four women, who had been sleeping, were bludgeoned and bitten, and at least one was sexually assaulted, authorities said. Two died.

″I used to hate his guts, and I used to be scared of him,″ said Kathy Kleiner, 31, one of the survivors. ″I really now feel sorry for him. His life isn’t easier now; I want it to be over.″

Kleiner, then a 20-year-old sophomore majoring in interior design, was found down the hall from her dead sorority sisters, Margaret Bowman and Lisa Levy. She was sitting in bed, rocking back and forth in pain, calling for her boyfriend.

Kleiner told The Orlando Sentinel in Monday’s editions that her recovery has been long and painful. Bundy broke her jaw in three places, and it was wired shut for nearly three months. She never returned to college. Six months later she married her boyfriend. Six years later they divorced.

Today she is engaged and works at a south Florida hospital. She agreed to be interviewed on the condition that her hometown not be disclosed.

Kleiner has been a survivor all her life, said her mother, Rosemary Kleiner. Her father died when she was young. At 13, Kleiner developed lupus, a disease of the connective tissue, and a doctor told her she had only a year to live. The disease went into remission shortly afterward.

Doctors also warned Kleiner that she could never have children because of the disease. But she has a 7-year-old son from her marriage.

Karen Chandler, a 22-year-old senior majoring in fashion design and marketing, was the first to be found after the Chi Omega attack. She staggered down the hall, her jaw broken and four teeth knocked out. She also suffered a broken right arm and a crushed index finger.

Now Karen Pryor, she and her husband, Ross, an engineer, live in Atlanta with their 2-year-old son and infant daughter.

″I don’t think it will be over for any of us until it is resolved one way or another,″ she told Cable News Network in a report broadcast today.

Her father, Alfred Chandler of Tallahassee, said the family does not discuss Bundy.

″Our daughter recovered and is emotionally fine,″ he said. ″I just feel sorry for his family. It hasn’t really been a burden on ours.″

Cheryl Thomas was a 21-year-old dance student when Bundy broke into her apartment shortly after his attack at the sorority house a few blocks away. He broke her jaw and severed a nerve leading to her left ear, leaving her with a profound hearing loss and balance problems.

Her injuries destroyed her dream of becoming a professional dancer. She still does not want to talk about the attack, said her mother, Anne Thomas of Richmond, Va.

But Thomas recovered. Although she never returned to Florida State, she eventually earned a bachelor’s degree in dance and a master’s degree in deaf education. She teaches ballet and works with the deaf. She is married and has a daughter.

″She pulled back. We’re really proud,″ her mother said. ″Every day of my life I thank God for her life.″

All contents © copyright 2019 The Associated Press. All rights reserved.