MIAMI (AP) _ Two Haitian gunmen apparently aligned with a failed coup attempt hijacked an airplane carrying a missionary group from Haiti to Fort Lauderdale Monday, but surrendered after diverting the plane to Miami, the FBI said.

The gunmen, reportedly Haitian soldiers, threw their weapons down as they turned themselves in, the FBI said. No one was hurt.

The two men seized the twin-engine Cessna 402 at Cap Haitien airport on Haiti's North Coast. They were armed with a .38-caliber revolver, an assault rifle and a 40mm anti-tank shell, the FBI said.

The hijackers were identified as Guillaume Berlioze, 25, and Fadael Milord, 29, both of Port-au-Prince. They were scheduled to appear in federal court Tuesday, where they could face charges of air piracy and illegal weapons possession, said FBI spokesman Paul Miller.

The motive for the hijacking was not immediately clear, Miller said.

''We haven't been able to pin that down, but there are indications that they are against the government,'' he said.

The hijackers, who were not in uniform, were deserting members of Haiti's Dessalines Battalion, said police sources at Cap Haitien airport who spoke on conditon of anonymity.

The 750-member Dessalines was one of two military units involved in the abortive against Lt. Gen. Prosper Avril, Haiti's military president.

Avril appeared Monday to have quieted the sporadic acts of rebellion by officers and troop units.

The Cessna 402, owned by Missionary Aviation Fellowship of Redlands, Calif., was hijacked at 11:30 a.m. and landed at Miami International Airport at 2:30 p.m.

A Fellowship spokeswoman, Donna Burns, said the plane held four Haitians and three Americans, plus the two gunmen and the pilot, Duer Smedley.

''They boarded at Cap Haitien,'' said Arlene Salac of the Federal Aviation Administration's regional office in Atlanta.

Ms. Burns said the men burst onto the departure ramp at the Cap Haitien airport, fired weapons into the air and took over the plane, and the pilot was ordered to fly immediately without filing a flight plan.

An American, who was not immediately identified, witnessed the hijacking in Haiti and alerted Fellowship officials, Ms. Burns said. He called Steve Adams, director of operations for MAF in Fort Lauderdale, who then called authorities. Adams then called Ms. Burns, she said.

''We're all relieved that it's finally over,'' said Jill Lindsey, another Fellowship spokeswoman. ''Everything is fine; we're all back to normal. Operations should be back to normal on Wednesday.''

The Fellowship is an international Christian aviation group founded in 1945. It operates 145 aircraft in Third World countries to provide rural aviation and radio service.

The Fellowship first started flight service to Haiti in 1979, flying doctors, medicines, supplies and mission and development personnel. The service has been based at Executive Airport in Fort Lauderdale, Florida, since 1982.

In October of 1987, a Fellowship single-engine engine Cessna was hijacked in Suriname. The pilot was held by a rebel guerrilla group before being released unharmed.