Fall fashion’s super bowl for men
There are lots of reasons to stash the shorts and trade in the tank tops now that football season has started.
And, oh yeah, a new fashion season has kicked off, too. Move your wardrobe game forward and score some winning points with these top favorites for fall 2018:
• Big coats. Watch for urban style to take to the fashion field in utilitarian outerwear that’s pumped up in volume and loaded with lots of technical gear. This fall’s playbook includes colorful fireman’s coats, quilted puffer vests and rugged trucker jackets. Pockets are the standout detail to all these oversized trendsetters. Logos, cartoons and graphic images are other ways to amp up the fashion power of statement outerwear this year. And if you love leather, you’re in luck. The leather bomber is a classic, but the leather trench is a winner, too.
• Tailored suits. When your hikes call for maneuvering around the potholes of Wall Street, pinstripes are the best way to go. Trade in the mountain parkas for tailored suits with jackets that still live large with double-breasted jackets, peaked lapels and padded shoulders. How’s that for bringing back the ’80s and Gordon Gekko? Add a dark, shiny, skinny Rat Pack tie and a tie bar and voila! You’ll win the super bowl of style this year.
• The Western Front. The retro cowboy (think Roy Rogers) is inspiring high fashion this fall with fringed shirts, embroidered yokes and flap pockets. Fast forward to a rhinestone cowboy who rides high in blinding bling ... put them together and you get a blend of the old and the new Wests for today’s urban cowboys. Throw on a pair of vintage boots and a cozy shearling coat and you’ve got a country look that will score big points during those fall weekends on the ranch or in the city.
• Bold patterns. If the girls can do it, so can the guys. Checks, stripes and plaids in all their myriad incarnations are popping up in bright colors — and all in the same outfit. The newest way to wear all these bold patterns is to wear them head to toe, mixing them arbitrarily with wild abandon ... at least that’s how fashion designers showed them on the fall-winter 2018-19 runways. If you’re a little more down-to-earth in your sartorial choices, then one vibrant jacket, flannel shirt or pair of track pants may be all it takes to jazz up your jeans this year.
• Orange is the new black. There’s always one color that signals a new change of season in the fashion palette, and this year for menswear it is tangy orange in all its juicy shades. From sunbaked desert hues to super chic bright neons, orange is the fashion crowd’s new black. But fall’s traditional earth tones are still menswear basics. Pair them with orange and kick off your style game as a trendsetting champion.
To find out more about Sharon Mosley and read features by other Creators Syndicate writers and cartoonists, visit the Creators Syndicate at www.creators.com.