Parents of Utah teen who overdosed sue defunct online market
SALT LAKE CITY (AP) — The parents of a Utah teenager who died of an overdose in 2016 are suing the now-defunct online illicit market where the drug that killed their son was purchased.
The Salt Lake Tribune reports the parents of Grant Seaver filed the federal lawsuit Friday.
Seaver’s parents, James and Deborah, allege the marketplace AlphaBay, a postal service and others are liable for the death of their 13-year-old son.
The lawsuit says the companies failed to warn consumers that the synthetic opioid U-47700 was unreasonably dangerous. The parents are seeking more than $10 million.
Seaver and his 13-year-old friend Ryan Ainsworth were found dead in September 2016 in the ski-resort town of Park City after taking the drug.
Federal officials last year announced they had taken down AlphaBay.
Information from: The Salt Lake Tribune, http://www.sltrib.com